Shark Week kicks off Sunday July 5th!
Shark Week starts Sunday 5 July on the Discovery Channel. For the 28th year in a row, millions of viewers will tune in to see surfer survival stories and slo-mo great whites.
Shark Week is so popular, it’s been called The Super Bowl of summer TV programming. With that in mind, here are some ideas on how you can help spread the (good) word about sharks and maybe sell a few classes.
Quick and Easy ideas
Take a Bigger Bite
- Offer the AWARE Shark Conservation Specialty (download instructor guide PDF) or offer the AWARE Shark Conservation Adventure Dive in your Advanced Open Water course. Give students a shark keychain to commemorate participation.
- Schedule your next dive club meeting to coincide with Shark Week. During commercial breaks, read off Shark Facts and Myths and invite attendees to guess which is real and which isn’t. For example: 90% of shark attack victims are male. Truth or Myth?
Whoever guesses correctly could get a shark keychain, gummy shark candy, shark bite socks, shark surprise coffee mug, or other shark-related prize.
Offer a grand prize to the person with the most correct answers. Personally I would love to curl up every night in this shark sleeping bag.
Where are you diving on 18 July 2015? You can show your support of the female dive market by organizing a local dive or event for PADI Women’s Dive Day. It’s a genuine way to get more women together, in the water and involved in diving. PADI Members from around the world are hosting events to celebrate women’s contributions to recreational diving and to attract the next generation of female divers, explorers, and underwater photographers.
Why should you get involved in this initiative?
The PADI organization has witnessed a gradual increase in the proportion of female divers in recent years:
Also, many brands have been shifting focus to female consumers over the last decade, adjusting product offerings, marketing messages and business models accordingly. Even historically male-focused industries have realized the business potential females wield as the primary decision makers in many households.
Are your marketing efforts targeting women specifically? If not, now’s the time to start.
If you’re interested in organizing a Women’s Dive Day event on 18 July in your area and get listed on the PADI Women’s Dive Day webpage, please send an email to email@example.com.
Get featured! The top five PADI Women’s Dive Day events will be featured in an upcoming issue of Sport Diver magazine!
Guest Post by Alexa Ward, Project AWARE Community Relations Specialist
Are you a PADI Dive Shop or Instructor that takes ocean protection to heart? We all want to keep our undersea world clean and healthy – not just for ourselves, but for the dive community, now and for future generations to come. If conservation is important to you and your business, consider becoming 100% AWARE.
Across the globe, PADI Instructors and Dive Shops are committing to ocean protection through 100% AWARE partnerships. 100% AWARE partners support a healthy and abundant ocean by making a donation to Project AWARE on behalf of each student that they certify through PADI Online PIC Processing.* 100% AWARE partners’ ongoing contributions make a difference by providing vital funds to support Project AWARE’s two core areas of focus: marine debris prevention and shark and ray protection.
Best of all students certified through a 100% AWARE partner will receive the Project AWARE version of their PADI certification card, so that they can proudly display their support and remember their positive experience with you! Divers value practices that protect the ocean and want to dive with instructors and dive shops that share their values – show them that you care!
Ready to get started? Follow these easy steps to become a 100% AWARE Partner:
- Get started by submitting your 100% AWARE partner agreement. PADI Dive Centers and Resorts and Instructors may apply. You have the option to donate $10 per certification card, or a flat donation of $250 per month.
- Log into the Online Processing Center using the PADI member number on your 100% AWARE agreement and select your choice of preferred certification card.
- That’s it! All your certifications will be automatically issued as AWARE cards without making a donation to process.
It’s easy to get started! Effortlessly support ocean protection with every certification – the benefits are endless! If you need any help along the way, Project AWARE is here to help. Simply contact Project AWARE’s Fundraising Specialist, Lauren Wiskerson at firstname.lastname@example.org or click here to learn more.
*With the exception of Emergency First Response, Seal Team and Tec Rec.
Based on PADI Member feedback, the Online Processing Center is currently being enhanced to improve usability and digital product management. The improvements affect both design and organization of the site, making standard PIC processing and processing student divers with digital codes easier and more intuitive. Once the new Online Processing Center goes live in August, the old PIC Online application will be retired, and all online certifications will need to be processed via the revamped Online Processing Center.
You will want to start using the current Online Processing Center since the old PIC Online application will be deleted soon, which will be a much easier transition for you once the revised version launches.
The revised Online Processing Center will be available in multiple languages: English, Spanish, French, Portuguese, German, Italian, Dutch, Russian, Korean, Japanese, Chinese and Arabic.
The enhancements provide a better user experience with a more structured platform and simplified navigation. The platform is also mobile optimized, which means you can process certifications using your mobile device from anywhere you have an internet connection.
Some of the exciting enhancements to the Online Processing Center are:
- Reorganization and simplified navigation (all digital codes are managed under one section).
- Mobile optimization of all screens.
- Simplified language and wording throughout the portal.
- Digital codes scoreboard for a quick reference of your available codes.
- Integrated tooltips to provide descriptions of each section or application.
- Improved filtering and sorting options of digital code data.
- Drop-down menu of languages.
If you haven’t already, start using the current Online Processing Center and becoming familiar with processing both your standard PICs and students with digital codes through this portal, so you will be ready for the launch of the revised site. If you have any additional questions, please contact your PADI Regional Headquarters Training and Customer Service team.
The PADI Digital Product Suite is a collection of industry-leading digital products designed to modernize and enrich the learning experience of students and PADI Professionals.
To get the most out of each product, whether it’s the PADI App or course materials, make sure you’re familiar with what’s available by reading the PADI Digital Product Suite brochure. This handy reference guide provides the key facts about each Digital Product, including:
- Product components – what’s included
- The languages available or coming soon
- What PADI courses are supported
- Whether it’s for use on computers, tablets or both
- Which operating system it’s compatible with
- Whether internet access is required
- Who can purchase the product (consumers / PADI Pros) and how
The PADI Digital Product Suite Brochure also features a comparison between PADI Certification Paks in the form of a handy one-page summary. You’ll see at a glance what’s included in the online and offline versions for the PADI Open Water Diver course, ensuring that you can easily choose the right product for you and your students’ needs.
Click here to download the PADI Digital Product Suite brochure today.