This article is the first in a series. Down the road we’ll cover other diver-retention techniques such as multi-level and concurrent training.
THE BLACK BELT OF SCUBA
The Master Scuba Diver rating is often described as “The Black Belt of Scuba.” Unfortunately, while everyone knows what a karate black belt is, entry-level divers may not understand the prestige of the Master Scuba Diver rating.
Here are a just few ideas on raising awareness (and interest) in your Master Scuba Diver program.
- Create a Wall of Fame in your store to recognize customers who have achieved their MSD
- Publicly chart the progress of current Advanced and Rescue Divers to encourage friendly competition among students
- Invite Master Scuba Divers to be guest speakers at your next course orientation
- Award special recognition to your MSDs at a dive club meeting or store BBQ
- Develop a specialized MSD program for your area such as a Project AWARE-focused “Eco-MSD” or a Cold Water MSD. You might even create a special logo for your program
- Offer a dive trip for Master Scuba Divers ONLY
Have a great idea that’s working for you? Leave us a comment!