From PADI surveys, we know that nearly 90 percent of Discover Scuba Diving (DSD) participants say they enjoyed the experience and are interested in becoming certified divers. It’s estimated that around 15 percent of DSD participants enroll in a course within a short time after the experience.
Here are some best practices recommended by PADI Dive Centers and Resorts that have been successful at converting DSD participants into PADI Open Water Divers and beyond.
- Schedule at least one event per month and advertise it. Your customers are actually the best source of advertising. Encourage them to bring friends to your DSD events.
- Social media is great tool to spread the word about your DSD event. Have a designated person responsible for snapping cool and fun pictures of the event and ask participants to tag you and post on their social channels.
- Always highlight the free benefits in the Discover Scuba Diving Participant Guide, especially Open Water Diver Online – Section 1.
- Have a special offer for enrolling in a course that day, especially for current customers who bring in their friends/family to try scuba. Have a designated and well-trained “closer” to take course sign ups as participants exit the water. Be sure to offer some incentive for the closer.
- Create a social setting and offer snacks to get people to spend more time with staff after the experience.
- Follow up with all participants who didn’t enroll in the course within two days and extend the special offer.
- If your participants are short on time but really want to become divers, the PADI Scuba Diver rating might be a good choice for them – particularly if they expect to go scuba diving primarily with a dive guide.
Visit the My Account section of the PADI Pros’ Site to schedule your Discover Scuba Diving Days events today.
Discover Scuba Diving Days marketing tools are also available at the PADI Pros’ Site.