On 16 July 2016, more than 700 events in 77 countries took place to celebrate the second annual PADI Women’s Dive Day. Women, men, girls and boys from around the globe joined together on land and underwater to enjoy scuba diving as one community. Events ranged from PADI Discover Scuba® Diving experiences in the local pool, to adventurous shark dives, to environmental talks and underwater cleanups, to simple fun dives and beach barbeques.
Here are just some great Women’s Dive Day moments shared by PADI Dive Shops and Members:
- Great Lakes, Michigan—Great Lakes Divers and Team Sedna embarked on record-setting journey where dubbed the #BigFiveDive on which they dived all five of the Great Lakes in just 24 hours.
- Cayman Islands—Divetech joined forces with the Cayman Islands Crisis Centre to raise funds to aid women and children seeking shelter from domestic abuse.
- Dutch Springs, Pennsylvania—Divers with Underwater Adventures Dive Center explored a sunken plane, fine-tuned their scuba skills, shared stories and heard from experts in the industry.
- Bahamas—Stuart Cove’s hosted a Sea Turtle & Shark Conservation Educational Experience. “All our female PADI Instructors get just as excited about this event as our women divers who join us! The day is about getting together to learn and share our passion for exploration, education and conservation,” said Hayley-Jo Carr.
- St. Louis, Missouri— The Great American Diving Company challenged divers to an underwater Poker Run and honored newly certified divers at a special ceremony.
- Eugene, Oregon—Eugene Skin Divers Supply invited non-divers for a free DSD® and tea social to introduce them to scuba diving.
- Coronado Island, Mexico—PADI AmbassaDiversTM Emily Callahan and Amber Jackson led a dive adventure with sea lions and sharks. Watch their video here.
Check out additional event photos in the PADI Women’s Dive Day photo album on Facebook. You can continue the global conversation by using #PADIWomen on your social networks. Be part of the movement! Next year’s PADI Women’s Dive Day is 15 July 2017.